Secondary poisoning occurs when an animal containing traces of poison is consumed by another. The primary poisoned animal transfers the poison to the consuming animal — most commonly through the liver. This is often exemplified when a wild or domestic animal eats a rat or mouse who has died from rat poison (rodenticides).

 Common rodenticides include: 

  • ACR (Anticoagulant Rodenticides)
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3)
  • Bromethalin
  • Phosphides

Secondary poisoning can have adverse effects on ecological systems. While the immediate threat to your common cat or dog is obvious, we have seen an increase in deaths from animals such as owls, eagles, and mountain lions in recent years. With urban sprawl increasing the displacement of rodents, the use of rodenticides has become a more common method to dispose of pests.

It is a typical reaction to want to eliminate a rat or mouse infestation with the use of rat poisons, but the use of rodenticides reminds us that we are all linked to a larger ecosystem — that can be impacted beyond your immediate scope. Think about the impact on animals, domesticated pets, and overall what it means to introduce foreign toxins into your community.

The avoidance of toxins is a fundamental pillar of the Goodnature philosophy. Our trap is designed as an alternative to conventional rodenticides that can pose a threat to pets, children, and other wildlife.

If you are concerned that your dog, cat, or even a child has been exposed to rat poison, don’t hesitate to call the American Association of Poison Control Centers at 1-800-222-1222 or text poison to 797979. They offer free, confidential advice that can help you act quickly in a crisis.